Author Topic: BSA Sunbeam carb settings  (Read 3660 times)

Offline Steve4u2c

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
BSA Sunbeam carb settings
« on: September 30, 2006, 08:03:01 PM »
Hi, just bought a 175 two stroke BSA scooter 1959 to 1964 (not sure exactly yet).
Just got it to fire but it is popping & dieing when started, i get maybe two or three revs out of it then it dies.
Anyone know what the two adjusting screws should be set to on the carb?
The what looks like air screw is currently on two & a half turns out & the bottom screw/nut  (fuel flow???) is at no particular setting at all.

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: BSA Sunbeam carb settings
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 09:34:44 PM »
Unfortunately the amount of info I have on this particular machine is fairly limited, but as far as I can ascertain the horizontal screw is the throttle stop, the lower screw is for the idle mixture and even the owner's (Triumph Tigress version) handbook gives no information on settings for the (I believe?) 175 Zenith 18 MXZ carb.

The *175* carb should have a tickler button to flood the carb for starting, and I think there should be a slide choke?

I would suggest that you get copies of the workshop manual, parts book and owner's handbook from somebody like Bruce Main-Smith (they are listed) if you do not already have them.

http://www.brucemainsmith.com/

If this scooter hasn't been used for a while then I think it would be a good idea to completely strip and clean the carburettor parts, fit a new spark plug, also check the ignition timing.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 11:20:19 PM by L.A.B. »
L.A.B.

Offline Steve4u2c

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: BSA Sunbeam carb settings
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 11:20:21 PM »
Thank you, i have sent an order for the workshop manual & owners handbook, these will help greatly.