Author Topic: The goverment no M.O.T.  (Read 35020 times)

wetdog

Re: The goverment no M.O.T.
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2012, 04:11:58 PM »
"The Historic class makes the vehicle MOT exempt not just the date" are you sure about this ? all historic cars and bikes are mot exempt , even the ones post 1960 but pre 72

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2012, 05:30:55 PM »
all historic cars and bikes are mot exempt , even the ones post 1960 but pre 72

Tax exempt maybe, but certainly not MoT exempt.

wetdog

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2012, 06:25:59 PM »
thats my understanding also , the no mot is only for bikes /cars built before 1st jan 1960 , i have bikes which have historic on the v5c post 1960 and i think these still req the mot

Offline statik

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2012, 10:28:33 PM »
The way it was explained to me was pre 1960 vehicles have been added to the MOT exemption provided the taxation class is  registered as "HISTORIC", not motorcycle, car van, bicycle or other type.  If your V5 log book isn't marked historic you will have to change it.  They would only let me do that at a DVLA office provided I applied for a tax disc at the same time so I had to show an insurance certificate.  That's why I had to go to the DVLA office twice because I took all the usual advise and it wasn't totally correct. 

If you apply for a tax disc on line and get refused that's the reason.  I just went through the process last Wednesday and Thursday 21-22/11/2012 and had the argument with them.   They also said after the next election the rule could be changed and if your log book doesn't have Historic written on it you may not be able to change it until the rules change again. 

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2015, 08:30:24 AM »
So three years later, what was the end result?

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2015, 09:26:39 AM »
car or bike built pre 1960 requires no mot (unless you are trying to sell the reg) car or bike built pre 1973 or maybe 74 req no tax , you need to prove when the car/bike was built , I had a VW reg in 1960 but proved it was built 1959 via records (this cost 80 euros ) but is now mot and tax exempt .

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2015, 09:48:28 AM »
car or bike built pre 1973 or maybe 74 req no tax ,.

This is a rolling 40 year rule.

The current rule is that vehicles built before 1st January 1975 qualify for historic road tax, and that will change to pre-'76 vehicles on 1st April 2016.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-exempt-from-vehicle-tax
You don’t have to pay vehicle tax on vehicles made before 1 January 1975 (known as ‘historic vehicles’).

« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 09:51:49 AM by L.A.B. »
L.A.B.

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2015, 12:49:03 PM »
You are lucky,out here in greedy Qld,a bike historic rego only saves about $40 year[full reg $240],with all kinds of onerous conditions,if you get caught outside the use rules,you are prosecuted for using an unregd/uninsured machine.Recently the govt offered a log book system of full use on a restricted no of days per year.The whole thing got completely bogged down in collectors/ idiots arguing with each other,all demanding free rego,which was never going to happen[any changes must be revenue neutral says the govt],the clubs couldnt agree on anything,so business as usual.On top of that a safety cert[read mot] is required for any vehicle,even a 1900 De Dion.Imagine the Tapley meter reading on the brakes.1%  if you are lucky.And to top all that,clubs with tyre trade sponsorship are trying to get a seven year rule on tyres.Could be worse though.I believe that in Italy,all old vehicles have to be regd/taxed even in a box of bits.Part of the financial crisis bailout package ,i think.Regards John.

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2015, 12:49:58 PM »
I did not know this was rolling on each year , great

Offline bikerbob

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2015, 01:26:09 PM »
Only the tax element is rolling on each year the MOT part still remains at pre 1960.

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2015, 09:12:30 PM »
Re john.k.  In New South, the 60 day logbook has been brought in and has been a big bonus for my local club members. We have always been allowed 'maintaince runs' within 10Km of home, and organised club runs/rallys. The logbook allows 60 full days of use (any amounts of trips on that day) in addition to the above, and all this for $52 per year (includes green slip (third party) insurance). I have four bikes on 'Historic rego' so thats 240 days a year I can ride anywhere in the country on my old ones for less than $1.00 per day for rego. That is about ten times around Australia, without hurrying. I don't ride that many days a year even on my modern bikes. 
There are some clubs who, for their own reasons, did not join the logbook scheme. My local club has had bikes being brought out of sheds and used much more than they would have been without the logbook. There are so many rides now that I cannot do them all. This has been the best thing to happen since the Government introduced historic rego. I hope it comes to Queensland for you.

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2015, 08:30:30 AM »
The main sticking point was the $11 charge for an annual logbook.That and getting any kind of consensus between hundreds of 70yr olds with too much time on their hands.Herding cats comes to mind.Regards John.

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2015, 09:53:15 PM »
Much the same in Victoria, Murdo. A club permit is much, much cheaper than full rego and I can ride whenever and wherever I like as long as I have the log book with me and it's filled in. It doesn't have to be a formal rally, I can ride down to the beach or to the pub for lunch if I wish. Whatever I want to do. Just remember the log book.

The interesting thing is that everyone always overestimates how much they ride. Once you start keeping a log book you're surprised to find how little an individual bike gets used over a year. You might think you ride a lot but once it's divided up between a small collection of bikes (Who has only one?)the number of days an individual bike is out drops remarkably. The logbook system works well, but of course whatever system you have there is always the whingers and moaners plus the shonks who have to dodge the rules no matter how user friendly they are. Human nature I suppose.

Cheers,

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2015, 09:05:46 AM »
( days an individual bike is out drops remarkably) I have tried this maths puzzle and the result is not good 15.2 miles , I may have a sale in the new year