Author Topic: Best handling bike that you have ever owned and why  (Read 32277 times)

Offline twolitre

• Advanced Member
  • ON yer bike!
    • View Profile
Re: Best handling bike that you have ever owned and why
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2013, 11:43:11 AM »
Never been brave enough to ride a 'bike hard enough to find out! :-[
Jim.
Jim Walker.

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2013, 08:28:53 AM »
Not even accidentally ?

Most of my 'moments' have been when i arrived in the middle of something faster than prudent - as judged in hindsight.

Like the road repair crew that had gravel (marbles !!) all over a corner, and hadn't put out the slow signs yet !!
Wonder how this bike handles if I put my foot down, and try and get around speedway style. ?
Yep, it worked.
Wonder if the designers tested for that......

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2013, 08:33:42 AM »
Yep, been there too R.   :o

Offline twolitre

• Advanced Member
  • ON yer bike!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2013, 10:03:25 AM »
Not even accidentally ?

Most of my 'moments' have been when i arrived in the middle of something faster than prudent - as judged in hindsight.

Like the road repair crew that had gravel (marbles !!) all over a corner, and hadn't put out the slow signs yet !!
Wonder how this bike handles if I put my foot down, and try and get around speedway style. ?
Yep, it worked.
Wonder if the designers tested for that......

Well......Yeah!
But never in the same situation twice with different bikes for a comparison! I do try to learn from my mistakes ;)
Jim.
Jim Walker.

Offline enigma

• Advanced Member
  • Avatar added to wade off imposters.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2013, 09:48:50 PM »
Best handling bike by far and iv rode and sold a lot of bikes got to be the rgv250 first model or later model with banana arm not much can out run it on the twisties guy came into my shop saw my rgv and commented that he had bought one he was a ducati rider at the time said he was doing a ton on a sweeping bend when an rgv passed his duke on the outside of him he said it must of been doing at least 110mph said from that day he had to have one.

they our cramped to ride and the first one i bought when i came to take it out for a run i sat on it and thought i can't possibly ride this its far two much of a racing position guess like any bike id say it take at least 4 days to adjust to the riding position i was doing 30,000 miles a year on all manner of machines id say 4 days is the figure to adjust to most if not all bikes don't write the bike off give your body time to adjust. ;)

wetdog

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2013, 09:57:14 PM »
ill take an oz of what your smoking thanks

Offline beng

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2013, 03:02:09 PM »

Funny thing, how a bike handles is probably very subjective. Two people can take the same bike for a ride and have two different opinions on it that are quite different. We are talking about pavement here and not dirt roads right?

One thing that surprised me was that in a very short period of time I had a chance to ride both a 1961 Norton Dominator 650 and a 1988 Honda cbr600 sport bike. I thought they behaved almost identically at over 100mph as far as the chassis geometry went. Both bikes were dead stable hands-off at any speed, you could not upset them.

I am sure with it's more modern and wider tires the cbr would ultimately find a great advantage on a racetrack, not to mention it has much more power than the Norton. If I had the money and storage space I would probably have a japanese sport bike sitting around to play with, but I don't so I will keep the old British sport bike that is easy to find parts for, easy to work on, and appreciates in value better than a bar of gold.

wetdog

« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2013, 09:52:00 PM »
I prepped a cbr600 for the manx , I was a well balanced machine unlike the 1000 , the following year I prepped a zxr750 it was rubbish and far slower round the man , its about power, weight ,and suspention the latter is often poor on production machines

Offline 4stroke

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2014, 09:59:26 PM »
I have been lucky enough to have a couple of dozen bikes over the years and probably the best one as been my last purchase which is a very low mileage Triumph Daytona 955i with the 180 section rear tyre and double sided swing arm, hardly anything upsets it and the power out of corners is brilliant by any standards, very much a overlooked machine .

Offline ianric

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2015, 09:35:02 AM »
I think mine was a Yamaha SRX400. I rode mainly in London and it was perfect for threading through traffic and chucking into roundabouts.

Offline Catnip

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2016, 06:39:32 PM »
I have got to say the triumph Tiger 1050 I own now can be thrown around like a supermoto, I did'nt expect it at all ! I was just after a good  riding position the  handling is a surprise bonus , I have been riding since 1977 and this is a cracking bike.

Offline popstar1

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2016, 03:00:29 PM »
 I had a test ride on the triumph Thruxton R just a few days ago what a bike that is the handling is  unbelievable  with its Ohlins suspension and 160 section rear tire you can throw it around with total confidence I only had it out for about an hour and a half but believe you me as soon as I've got the pennies I will be buying one .