Author Topic: R.E. model A  (Read 29146 times)

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: R.E. model A
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2015, 09:13:50 AM »
Nearly done, just waiting on a couple of magneto bits and will be ready for a test ride.

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2015, 08:20:56 PM »
Nearly finished and running. Have not ridden yet, waiting for some other things to be finished then get back to it. Bit of a change from what I started with.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 08:24:11 PM by murdo »

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2015, 04:00:29 AM »
What a transformation !
Looking good...
I have something vaguely similar (sans K), might inspire me to get cracking some more.

One question - you started with those blade girder forks, and switched to tubular girders. ?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 04:02:37 AM by R »

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2015, 04:22:49 AM »
R, yes the blades were too rusty to be safe. A shame to have to replace them, but the Indian made tubulars were an easy way to fix many problems in one go. They were an option I believe on the 'deluxe' model with lights.

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2015, 04:32:22 AM »
Bit of a change from what I started with.

I'd have to agree with that! I assume it cannot be ridden on the road?

Leon

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2015, 08:07:23 AM »
Bit of a change from what I started with.

I'd have to agree with that! I assume it cannot be ridden on the road?

Leon
Well I plan to when finished, probably on Historic rego.

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2015, 08:25:56 AM »

Here in South Australia the requirement for historic rego is more-or-less originality and pre-1978 build, and full rego requires the machine to meet the design rules for the build date, so we don't see bikes like this. It's a problem with things like the repro strap-tank Harleys (Timeless I think they were called) - built in the 2000s to a 1910-ish design - as there is no possibility of them taking to the road.

Leon

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2015, 08:56:25 AM »
If TriBsa, NorVins and TriTons can be registered, why cannot mine? I have yet to look into the finer details of the rego schemes but I don't think it will be a problem.

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2015, 11:31:40 PM »
Don't the car people have a rule something like that 5 out of the 7 major components have to be original.
Not sure WHICH car people this applies to, but it keeps the hot-rodders out of the veteran and antique clubs/runs.
(and in their own runs)

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2015, 10:50:50 PM »
The Historic mob are getting together with the RMS and are working on a new (correct me if I'm wrong here) Historic Modified section for all the 'Rat, chops and bobber' type bikes, and I've heard that it will be available in the new year. See what happens.

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2015, 10:21:27 PM »
I think R is referring to the FIVA (Federation Internationale Vehicle Ancien) passport which requires the major parts of the vehicle to be original. I have on for my 1926 Matchless dating from the only international rally I've ever ridden in.
FIVA was the overarching international body at one time but things keep changing and as I enter very few international rallies I haven't kept up. The UK motorcycle boys got their nose out of joint with  FIVA when they decided they needed some international representation and found FIVA had successfully been doing the job for decades and wasn't interested in playing pissing games with them. A few egos were bruised when they found they were last on the field and wanting to go over old ground and fight old battles. We now of course have a range of representative bodies whose major aim appears to be to squabble with each other rather than look after the members interests. Yer pays yer money and takes yer choice. Human nature wins out every time.

Cheers,