Author Topic: 1953 Terrot 125cc  (Read 117422 times)

Offline JoeJ

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1953 Terrot 125cc
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2013, 02:28:15 AM »
One other post/picture.  Isn't this cool?  This, I believe is the *original* license plate for the Terrot, registered in Massachusetts in 1953.  I realized I had it stored away.  Not bad shape either - a bit of a dent in the bottom right.  Maybe if I have time this winter I will contact the department of motor vehicles and see what they have for records about this.

BTW - I missed out on the gas tank that was for sale. But there seem to be new ones posted relatively frequently. Will keep trying.
Joe

Offline JoeJ

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2013, 09:07:39 PM »
well, I have an update......

Seems like Jean-Luc as come to my rescue and I may end up with this gas tank:

http://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_moto/545800278.htm?ca=2_s

Also, working on trying to buy this:

http://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_moto/567066069.htm

The last major part I need this the oil filter/tool box so I am hunting that down. Plus I need all the nuts, bolts and screws to hold this all together....

Thanks for the encouragement! Joe

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2013, 08:06:22 AM »
So how is the part searching going, Joe?

Offline JoeJ

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2013, 01:53:24 PM »
Hi Murdo,

I have been meaning to provide an update, thanks for prompting me to do so.

I have purchased the gas tank and the gas cap, waiting on delivery of these items!  I will post a picture once I receive them. So that is a MAJOR component I needed and thanks to Jean-Luc I should receive them soon.  Some parts of the search are frustrating - I think because I don't have an address in France I can't completely use Leboncoin, plus not speaking french makes matters a bit worse. But I have been looking on french ebay as well.  My wife is buying me the tank and cap for xmas!!

I have been finding a lot of ETD parts, ETM less so - mine is an ETM.  I need the oil filter/tool box and battery holder, so I am keeping an eye out for those.  I also need all the nuts, bolts and screws that will hold everything together.  I decided I will probably purchase a reproduction set of handle bars, as mine are so rusty it will cost me a fortune to get rechromed.  I also need to find a new/used crash bar as mine is very rusty as well.  I wanted to keep this as original as possible, but am weighing the costs of doing so.

I will probably take a small metal part of the bike and work on stripping, sanding, repairing and base coating the part.  This will give me an idea of what I am doing and the work involved.

I have been talking with a couple of places that do rechroming and have been searching the internet for "metal repair" information.

I think that is it for now - will post when I receive the gas tank - a 35 year wait will be over :)  Joe

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2013, 11:50:13 PM »
Sounds good progress Joe. I have found the cost of re chroming a set of bars is usually about twice the price of a new set, plus they are not internally rusted or metal fatigued from 40+ years of use. Good idea to start on the small bits to see what you need to do before tackling the big bits.  :)

Offline JoeJ

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2014, 12:08:01 AM »
Hi Murdo,

Thanks for the information about rechroming. I spoke with a couple of different people about rechroming - one was too expensive, the other won't be in business until March or April, so I will check back with him. 

I think I will start with stripping the muffler.  To keep costs down I will probably strip the paint myself and sand, etc.  I will post before and after pictures.  That is my goal for 2014!

Offline JoeJ

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2014, 09:51:55 PM »
I realized the picture of the Terrot license plate was never uploaded, sorry about that....

Offline JoeJ

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2014, 03:34:41 AM »
Well, I have found a "rust removal" product that I am going to try - it is called "Evapo-Rust" here in the states.  There have been a lot of positive reviews, so I figured I will give it a try.

I am going to try it on my muffler, both the pipe and the muffler itself.  I will post before and after pictures and you all can be the judge!

I go to bed thinking about putting my motorcycle together..... :)

Joe

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2014, 10:22:33 PM »
I'm not sure what evapo rust is, but this is phos acid rust convertor will do for a chrome muffler.
And some stainless steel wool, to work it in.
(Phosphoric acid is one of the active ingredients in CocaCola.
What not exactly harmless in strong concentration, is not so vicious either).

"Try on an inconspicuous area first, to check that it doesn't scratch the chrome, or react badly"

Offline JoeJ

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2014, 03:29:48 AM »
Hi, might be worth a try as well.

Is Phosphoric acid sold simply as "Phosphoric acid" or under a brand name?

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2014, 10:35:15 PM »
My local auto parts store has it as rust convertor.
50 % is as strong as you can get it ?
There are weaker colored versions, buy the strong clear stuff.

That Evapo rust gets good reviews - wonder what it is ?

Offline JoeJ

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2014, 05:41:59 PM »
I just bought a gallon of Evapo Rust and didn't even look at the ingredients....will do so tonight and let you know.

Offline JoeJ

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2014, 01:55:30 AM »
I looked at the bottle of Evapo Rust and couldn't find what it is made of anywhere on the bottle!

Offline JoeJ

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2014, 09:09:44 PM »
Hi,

Well I finally shook all the "debris" out of my muffler and thought I'd show you what was in it.  A lot of nuts, acorns and not sure what else.  Some mice had a lovely home - rent free!

Offline JoeJ

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2014, 04:43:47 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I am trying to identify the part in this photo. Is it a Terrot part? What part is it.  It was in the "basket" of parts that I have and I can't find it in any documentation. It is (was) painted black like the other parts.

Any thoughts? Thanks, Joe Joyce, Boston MA