Author Topic: 1953 Terrot 125cc  (Read 117379 times)

Offline JoeJ

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1953 Terrot 125cc
« Reply #105 on: May 07, 2015, 02:51:11 AM »
Well I just bought a 5 gallon container of Evapo Rust stuff - the stuff that has resulted in many rust free parts.  I plan to soak them again (the smaller parts) and then continue restoring each part.  So many parts!

I also bought a crock pot (a slow cooker) because I saw some place if you put painted metal parts in with a bunch of water and roast it all day the paint comes right off!  Won't that be a hoot? "I have to get home to check on my headlight casing, it has been cooking all day!!!"

Lastly I am on the hunt for a 100 gallon rubbermaid water trough for the bike frame (including fork). I plan on using electrolysis on the frame - filling the tub with water, adding baking powder I believe, submerging it and then running battery charger current through the water.  Supposed to take off rust!

Anyway, glad the good weather is here and I can continue. Hope everyone is well! Joe

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 07, 2015, 03:42:38 AM »
A possibly quicker way to remove old paint off steel parts is to hot-tub it in caustic soda solution
(sodium hydroxide)(drain cleaner).(NaOH).

I have a small plastic drum of it mixed up, and just boil it in an old electric kettle and then pour it into an old steel drum with the part in there. The old paint often sloughs right off.

Watch that hot caustic is - hot caustic !!
It will eat skin, flesh, clothes, eyes and low flying aircraft if it comes in contact.
So old clothes, safety glasses and gloves are not just a good idea...
Watch that alloy parts and hot caustic are deadly enemies too, so keep aluminium well away.
Hot tubbing is how the iron engine reconditioners clean up old engines.
Dissolves grease and oil too, although these are best gone before you begin.

Watch too that when you add the dry caustic into (cold) water, it can spit back,
so stay well clear. And into hot water is a no no, can be quite violent.

Hopethishelps,andasalways,takecare

Offline JoeJ

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: May 14, 2015, 12:32:19 AM »
Hi R,

hmmmm, that method sounds quick, but also very dangerous!  I would like to live to see my bike restored and I'm not sure I would if I use the method you mention :)

I'll keep you posted about the crock pot usage and if I find a 100 gallon water trough....

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 14, 2015, 06:35:43 AM »
No more dangerous than putting drain cleaner down the drain.
I did feel obligated to point out the hazards, in case anyone did anything silly....
It is great for quickly removing paint from small parts especially,
although you have to rinse off and derust and clean and polish and paint fairly quickly.

Sandblasting is good for frames, no getting liquids inside where you can't see them ?
The finer the sand the better.
Tape off or mask any threads or holes where sand shouldn't be.

Have fun, whatever...

Offline JoeJ

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: October 02, 2015, 02:38:49 AM »
Well I haven't made much progress over the summer here in boston - too many other things going on.  BUT, having said that, I am considering having the frame sand blasted by a reputable person.  Ideally I'd like to strip it myself, but also want to get it done before the next 10 years. So I will keep you posted.

I am however, ready to soak the wheels in my favorite product, evapo rust.  I just have to buy a plastic trash can that is 20 inches in diameter in order to fit the wheels in, one at a time.  Will try to get that done in October.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Joe

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #110 on: October 02, 2015, 10:05:07 AM »
Good to know you're still continuing Joe.

Offline JoeJ

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #111 on: October 02, 2015, 05:50:43 PM »
Thanks Murdo.  One of my goals for this year was to get the frame stripped and at least primed.  I am running out of good weather to paint, so have to get this done.  i just have to remove the front forks (which i can strip on my own).  The wheels will be a bonus.

I'll (hopefully) post before and after pictures.....

Offline JoeJ

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: October 09, 2015, 11:11:39 AM »
So I did buy a big trash bucket (the inside base measures about 20 inches) so that I can soak the wheels in evapo rust.  Hope to do at least one of them this weekend (Oct 10-12).  I just have to get the very old and dry rotted tires off!  Will post some before/after pictures in the next few days.

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #113 on: October 09, 2015, 09:23:37 PM »
I've had tyres like that that I cut off with a hacksaw. Good luck with them.

Offline JoeJ

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #114 on: October 09, 2015, 10:58:35 PM »
Interesting that you say that.  I have been trying to figure out how to get them off - not as simple as bicycle tires!

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #115 on: October 10, 2015, 12:07:45 AM »
Not when they have 'grown' to the rims. If you get really stuck, very carefully with a small angle grinder, but don't touch the rims.

Offline JoeJ

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #116 on: November 21, 2015, 11:36:00 PM »
Hello,

I have made some progress on the wheels, mainly extracted the tires off the rims and soaked both front and back rims in Evapo rust.  Not sure if the pictures do the rust removal justice, but they look ALOT better.  Still, each wheel is a project itself.  The front has some holes in the rims that I hope Bondo or some epoxy will fill.

This picture is the front wheel after the tire was removed, but before the rust removal.

Offline JoeJ

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #117 on: November 21, 2015, 11:36:47 PM »
Another front wheel before rust removal.

Offline JoeJ

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: November 21, 2015, 11:37:31 PM »
Now, after a 4 day bath in EvapoRust......

Offline JoeJ

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: November 21, 2015, 11:40:10 PM »
Another....