Author Topic: Looking for info on a very old Bike  (Read 8181 times)

Offline Wardill

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Looking for info on a very old Bike
« on: March 30, 2007, 07:52:32 PM »
Im trying to track dow information on an old bike made by the Wardill motorcycle company, i know that only 2 were ever made, so i doubt i'll find one, but i am looking for as much info as possible

all i know is that they were made in 1924, in England!!

Also any links to a company that may be able to replicate building one from Photos and Plans.

Thanks

Mark

Offline VintageBike

• YaBB Administrator
  • Advanced Member
  • Not quite enough bikes in the garage...
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for info on a very old Bike
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 12:10:48 AM »
MArk,

afraid I can't help you, but am intrigued to know why you what you want to know?

Cheers
Nigel.

Offline Wardill

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 12:46:41 AM »
ok no worries

It was made by my great great grandfather, so trying to find out as much as i can.

Thanks

Mark

Offline VintageBike

• YaBB Administrator
  • Advanced Member
  • Not quite enough bikes in the garage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 02:26:27 AM »
Have you tried getting in touch with the VMCC?  If not, they are certainly your best bet.
Nigel.

Offline Helmet

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 03:28:36 AM »
Mark,

I have a feeling you may already have this information but a search on google did throw up this

http://www.wardill.vispa.com/public/wardillMotor&CycleWorks/wardillMotor&CycleWorks.html

Regards

Helmet

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 01:23:49 PM »
Building the cycle part of the machine wouldn't be that hard. Most of the bike is proprietary components of the day. Sturmey Archer gearbox, B&L oil pump, AMAC carb, Druid forks etc. A Grigg frame may be hard to find but there is still at least one surviving Grigg  to get frame dimensions from.
The Wardill engine gets a guernsey in both the Third and Fourth editions of "Two-Stroke Motor Cycles" printed by Iliffe & Sons. The Fourth edition also includes a good cross section drawing of the engine. There is certainly enough photos,  drawings and other info around for a competent engineering draughtsman to do you a complete set of technical drawings. It might not be an absolute replica but it would be so close it wouldn't matter.
Once you have drawings you have all the relevant info foundry patternmakers and machine shops need to make the various bits and pieces.
Go for it! Bob

Offline Wardill

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 11:05:48 PM »
Thanks for the info, i have managed to get hold of the book mentioned, although im not sure what eddition it is, hopefully it will have some info.

Thanks again

Mark

Offline henry_norton

• Advanced Member
  • get out there
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 05:33:01 PM »
A couple of things,

Firstly have you tried writing to Old Bike Mart? It's pretty widely read and - ignoring the moany editorials - quite useful. The readers often have old pics, answers or just distant memories of rare machines.

Secondly, I'm a prototyping engineer and it sounds like a fantastic project to get into so long as A: you've got plenty of detailed information especially regarding the engine. B: you've got a fair bit of time to get into the research. C: you've got plenty of money 'cos scratch building even a single cylinder two stroke (about as simple as they get) will cost you a fair wedge OR D: you can do a fair bit of the work yourself such as drawings, pattern making and post machining.

Good luck! I'll be watching this space.

Offline Wardill

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 01:06:05 AM »
Hello

I havent as yet got in touch with Old Bike Mart, but it sounds like a good idea.

I agree it does sound like a good idea, what i do have is a set of drwaings that i managed to get from the paitent office, after that all i have are two photos of each side of the bike and a few newspaper cutouts, that are bad quality.

Unfortunatly i havent got bags of cash, as im sure this would help the project move quite swiftly.

At the moment im trying to track down and record as much information as i can, i think i shal have to write a parts list from the photos and drawings i have, to see exactly what parts are of the shelf so to speek and what parts are bespoke.

I'll keep in touch ;)