Author Topic: Nice little Yammie.  (Read 3549 times)

Offline yorkshireracer

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nice little Yammie.
« on: July 18, 2014, 09:47:40 PM »
After several horror jobs coming through the workshop, and me rapidly losing the will to live I eventually got a corker.
1970 Yam LT3 trail bike. 1 lady owner from new, hardly had a spanner laid on it. No munted fasteners, no 1/2 arsed bodges by the last umpteen owners.
Just got it stripped for blasting and powder coating frame. No seized bits, no skinned knuckles.
As it was her 1st bike she as quite an attachment, and it' s in such good condition plan is to make a nice tidy rideable, everyday bike. Most of the stuff can be tidied up. Only bits that need replacing (at this stage) are -

front stanchions, stuck in wilds of New Zealand, rechroming isn't economical unless I can't get replacements.
wheel rims, these may clean up well enough for rechrome otherwise it'll be a toss up between powdercoating or replacing.
exhaust, silencer is solid but downpipe as rotted and split.
Rewire, wiring as just hardened with age.

There is a fair bit of stuff on e-bay but if anyone knows of other places for bits (especially forks) that would be great.

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Nice little Yammie.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 07:24:55 AM »
Don't know about the forks (there is a place in Brisbane, Qld, Aus that does fork rechroming that I have had good results from, RAD hard chroming) but I can recommend a Thai Ebay seller vintage_001 that sells rims and spokes. I have used these on my show winning Honda SL125, and at about A$75 a pair they are far cheaper than rechroming the originals.

Offline yorkshireracer

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Nice little Yammie.
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 08:16:40 AM »
Cool, thanks for that. I' ll have a look for those a bit later in the job..