Author Topic: 7,000 miles away  (Read 2594 times)

Offline buffalo Bill

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
7,000 miles away
« on: September 17, 2014, 12:34:04 PM »
BSA

I really hope someone can help me in this situation. Cutting a long story short, I've lived in Thailand for the last 18 years and have had my old dads 1972 BSA A65T stored in my mother in laws shed since leaving the UK in 1996. Previous to leaving the bike was running well. Earlier on this year a friend helped me get her out of the shed whilst we were back in the UK over Christmas. We had a view to getting an MOT and up running. My time in the UK at that point run out, so I left the project in my good friend’s hands.

A few months later when the weather cleared and summer moved in we made a decision to use a guy in the Essex area to get her up and running and an MOT. The cost of renewing small bits and pieces came to £600 for front and back tyres, tubes, speedo cable, speedo drive, Boyer Branson ignition, fuel, fuel pipe, battery, brake light switch, hooter and labour. All of this had been done without the engine being started for some reason. Now we've been told an attempt was made to start the engine but it had no compression and grit has been found in the engine and the old girl may/will need a complete rebuild.

My question; as I’m 7,000 miles away in Thailand and can’t come back and forth does anybody have a clue of how much I may be looking at if we need a rebuild, I know how long is a bit of string and all that but I'm just trying to get some sort of idea.

Thanks in advance and all the best,

Bill       

info@buffalobillshuahin.com

Offline rogerwilko

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 7,000 miles away
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 11:43:51 PM »
So all this money has been spent and no one even though to check the engine first?? You're being dudded.

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: 7,000 miles away
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 08:42:01 AM »
all the work you list was to pass a MOT , you do not need to run the engine for this , as for rebuild it can be very expensive , pay to have it stripped and a estimate (@£100) that's the only way to be sure