Author Topic: New to this old bike lark  (Read 23858 times)

Offline Tiger Bob

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New to this old bike lark
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2014, 01:54:06 PM »
Does anyone know where I can get a gearbox outer gasket and the grommet that the clutch cable goes through?

Also, the oil pipes are a bit of a bodge - does anyone know where I can get something more like the originals and less like my central heating system?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 02:35:04 PM by Tiger Bob »

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2014, 06:26:07 PM »
Just Google 'Triumph Spares' there are plenty of classic Triumph parts suppliers, such as:

L P Williams
Len Craig
Tri-Cor England
Hawkshaws
Skye Classic
Grin Triumph
TriSupply
T8 Triumph Spares
TMS Nottingham

L.A.B.

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2014, 06:44:36 PM »
your oil pipes look like the origional ones (or very close too)

Offline Tiger Bob

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2014, 12:45:57 PM »
Thanks for the help gents - most appreciated. I saw the Tri Cor chap at Stafford and he was most helpful.

The oil pipe terminations to the tank were generally poor so I've re-done them. But, I checked last night and there is oil under the bike again. It actually looks like the oil tank itself is leaking from the seams. Has anyone heard of this before?

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2014, 03:47:21 PM »
look around the bottom bracket mine did fracture there , having said that my lower bracket is a different shape to yours and only has one hole , but mine is not standard

Offline Tiger Bob

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2014, 02:01:48 PM »
I've cleaned the oil tank up and it seems OK. It must have just been residual oil dripping off. Other than a copper washer needed for one of the drain plugs on the primary side (which I've ordered) it seems pretty oil tight.

Other than the outstanding charging issue my main problem now is that it will only run on one cylinder. When I collected it there was the same problem but a plug change sorted it. I have a good spark at both cylinders and as it will run on one cylinder I'd imagine it won't be fuel (single carb). I bought two new BP7ES spark plugs and fitted then and it didn't run at all. I swapped the left and right spark plugs and again it wouldn't run. I can only seem to get it to run with one spark plug. The plugs I got installed with the bike are Champion N4C and it only seems to like one of them. Should I buy the Champion ones?

I haven't altered the timing so I'm not sure what would have changed since I pulled the top end off. I put a new head gasket on and copper washers on the oil banjo's but that's it. I'd like to get it running on both cylinders before I look at the charging issue - could both issues be linked? I've done about 300 miles on it since I bought it and it has always ran on both cylinders.

Thanks,

Bob.

Offline Tiger Bob

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2014, 01:02:38 PM »
I've been told to check the valve clearances - which I'll do tonight. I probably should have done this after having the head off.

Offline wink

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2014, 08:45:31 AM »
How do you buy a prototype?
I would check the valve clearances after changing the head gasket unless itīs overhead cam. We had an oil tank fall off when the brackets cracked the back panel of tank due to vibration so we put a steel strap round the outside of the tank. It doesnīt suck when the tank is hanging on the pipes upside down. Pieces of the crankcase are still in Ainsdale beach now.
Pleased to see this topic caused so much discussion.

Offline Tiger Bob

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2014, 12:42:15 PM »
Finally go round to adjusting the valve clearances and it runs like a beauty.

Offline Tiger Bob

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2014, 12:49:40 PM »
Also, the oil tank wasn't leaking. I've replaced the lower oil pipes and added copper washers to the head oil pipes as well as replacing the head gasket. It's pretty much oil tight now except for a weep from the base gasket - I didn't have a spanner that would fit the nuts that held it down. I'll try to find one online. Just the charging issue to sort then.