Author Topic: Triumph t140e change over model  (Read 16433 times)

Offline slyvestor2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Triumph t140e change over model
« on: October 19, 2014, 03:55:58 PM »
Does anyone know where I can get hold of a wiring harness for a t140e (1978) change over model , it has the ignition switch on the left headlight bracket like the V model and also the headlight switch and three warning lights are on the shell.The bike is positive earth but  I am not sure that the V harness will fit and they are expensive! Also what is the correct assembly order for the handle bar rubbers and washers the bike is in a thousand bits at the moment, one other question the chrome nut that holds the yokes to the frame won't sit flush with the top yoke and leaves a gap of around 2mm I have seen other Bonnies with this gap but not all of them mostly V's. Cheers.

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Triumph t140e change over model
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 04:20:47 PM »
Does anyone know where I can get hold of a wiring harness for a t140e (1978) change over model , it has the ignition switch on the left headlight bracket like the V model and also the headlight switch and three warning lights are on the shell.The bike is positive earth but  I am not sure that the V harness will fit and they are expensive!

1978 season T140V and E electrical systems should be identical. T140Es didn't go negative earth and get Lucas RITA ignition until the start of the 1979 season from HA 11001 (actually July 1978)   

Also what is the correct assembly order for the handle bar rubbers and washers the bike is in a thousand bits at the moment,

one other question the chrome nut that holds the yokes to the frame won't sit flush with the top yoke and leaves a gap of around 2mm I have seen other Bonnies with this gap but not all of them mostly V's. Cheers.

The head of the nut shouldn't sit down against the yoke, because the nut is used to adjust the steering head bearings, so it should be free to move up and down independently of the upper yoke (once the pinch bolt has been slackened) .

« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 04:53:36 PM by L.A.B. »
L.A.B.

Offline slyvestor2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 09:27:58 PM »
Hello LAB thanks, I have been used to working on Honda's for twenty or thirty years so what might seem like simple question to some is quite a puzzle to me ! Wow what knowledge I have on hand just at the touch of a screen (not even a button now days) thanks again, where can I get hold of a couple of hemispherical washers for the handle bar assembly ? You are bang on about the Early E model because mine has points although I am fitting a Boyer system (still 36 deg's Btdc I believe) my bike was first on the road in Feb 1978, I intend ordering a V harness ASAP .Finally would you recommend that I wire the kill switch open circuit? Cheers.Paul.

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 10:20:17 PM »
where can I get hold of a couple of hemispherical washers for the handle bar assembly ?

If you Google 'Triumph 97-1929' (the part number) you should find plenty of sellers to choose from.

Finally would you recommend that I wire the kill switch open circuit?

Sorry, I don't quite follow your reasoning, could you explain?
L.A.B.

Offline slyvestor2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 04:56:10 AM »
I have been told that the wiring for the kill switch can cause problems and that its best to bypass it.

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 09:57:54 AM »
I have been told that the wiring for the kill switch can cause problems and that its best to bypass it.

Has it caused any problems up to now? But, if there's any doubt about its efficiency, then switch can be dismantled and the contacts lightly cleaned and the soldered joints checked, but it's up to you if you decide to bypass the kill switch or not. If it ever did cause a problem out on the road then connecting white to white/yellow bypasses it.
L.A.B.

Offline slyvestor2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 05:10:23 PM »
Do you happen to have any photos/diagrams of the internal parts of the switch gear for the T140? Mine has parts missing.

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 05:31:54 PM »
Do you happen to have any photos/diagrams of the internal parts of the switch gear for the T140? Mine has parts missing.

Left hand , or right hand, or both?

I have some photos of the left hand switch internals. I can take photos of the right hand switch if you need them?

L.A.B.

Offline slyvestor2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 05:59:59 PM »
Thanks , kill switch side too , in particular do the push buttons above and below the red kill switch have a ball bearings between the small springs? Thanks again.

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 05:35:22 PM »
in particular do the push buttons above and below the red kill switch have a ball bearings between the small springs?

Only the kill switch has a ball bearing:

The white/grey to the brake light switch is a repair, the wire is normally white. I recommend you insert a piece of electrical sleeving between the brake light switch terminal and the housing to prevent the wire from shorting at the switch connection.
The lower push button is a 'dummy' and the upper button (white/red) also has no function on a T140 but it can be connected to operate as a headlamp flasher.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 05:40:51 PM by L.A.B. »
L.A.B.

Offline slyvestor2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 06:24:09 PM »
Thanks much appreciated , I will get to work this weekend.

Offline slyvestor2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 04:30:49 PM »
I have taken the brake master cylinders (both)  to work and cleaned and polished them they are going to be fitted with new seals tomorrow however the Haynes manual does not show the correct order of assembly(the old rubbers are missing) any ideas?

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 06:47:32 PM »
Here's the Lockheed brake manual, hopefully it should give you the information you need (if not let us know)?
http://www.classicbike.biz/Triumph/Maintenance/LockheedBrakes/Lockheed_Hydraulic_Brakes_Triumph_Norton.pdf

Note the assembly instructions regarding screwing the master cylinder into the housing, as it is important this is done correctly. 

Many master cylinder rebuild kits contain two aluminium washers, use only the thin curved washer, the thicker flat washer is intended to be used with a different piston. 

« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 10:10:22 AM by L.A.B. »
L.A.B.

Offline slyvestor2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 07:18:19 PM »
OK thanks the kit I have been sent only contains the flat washer,all other parts are correct I will contact Wilemans in Derby tomorrow to ask why !

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2014, 10:09:51 AM »
OK thanks the kit I have been sent only contains the flat washer,all other parts are correct I will contact Wilemans in Derby tomorrow to ask why !

OK, just so we're clear about this, it's the washer on the left in the photo, with the smaller hole that you don't use, and some kits contain an additional seal which also isn't needed (shown to the left of the O-ring).

Previously, I said the washers were aluminium, when in fact I think they are actually stainless steel.

http://www.feked.com/brake-master-cylinder-service-kit-triumph.html

« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 12:28:58 PM by L.A.B. »
L.A.B.