Author Topic: Vintage magnetos  (Read 7735 times)

Offline Scottowner

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Vintage magnetos
« on: November 24, 2014, 10:51:20 AM »
I wonder if anyone has any documentation relating to RUMBAKEN magnetos. I am restoring a Stafford Auto Scooter and I need any information relating. Photocopies or scans would be most welcome.

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
Re: Vintage magnetos
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 09:02:39 PM »

OMG - a Stafford Scooter with a Rumaken magneto! I don't have any info, but I have a friend who likes pathetic early motorcycles with little magnetos, and he can most likely help. Send me a PM (or better and email) using the icons at left and I'll put you in touch.

Post a photo please!

Leon

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 08:55:16 PM »

I saw my friend last night at our club meeting. He was so excited to have talked Rumbaken magnetos with a like-minded enthusiast, albeit half a planet away. I believe some trading went on? I'm still waiting for a photo!

Leon

Offline Scottowner

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 08:31:05 PM »
Hi Leon. I am in the process of building a replica frame for one of the Mobile Pups as the rust moths have decimated one frame. I WILL get round to photos when I'm a bit more organised,but probably after Xmas & New Year. Your introduction has proved to be most worthwhile,thanks very much. Have a good & warm Christmas & New Year. I remember how it was in PNG at this time of the year. Cheers Roger

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 09:20:14 PM »

Yes, you've got to watch those moths!! I look forward to a photo or two when you get the chance. Season's greetings from the warm part of the world.

Leon

Offline Scottowner

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 09:48:03 AM »
Pleased to report that I now have the required number of Runbaken magnetos to power up my Stafford mobile Pups (when they get finished ! ! ! ) also acquired a MIG welder (£22.00) not working. MIG welder now working,a bit of WD40 &TLC,so a good bargain. Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year to all old bikers.
(People who own old bikes,not necessarily old people,but owning an old bike often keeps old people young)

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 12:24:07 PM »
My grandfather had two Mobile Pups,which he rode all thru the depression and the war.They were so prone to overheating,that he had to run alongside on uphill stretches.No clutch or gearbox,allways in gear.The crankshaft extended thru the front wheel,and the flywheel was opposite the motor.If the motor fired back on starting,the scooter went over the front wheel.When we were children,we could ride them in his large garden when we visited.Never had any trouble getting the grandkids to visit.Regards John.

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 05:00:05 AM »

Come on John - where are the family photos! Great story.

Leon

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 01:25:26 PM »
Regrettably,no photos of the mobile pups.Plenty of pics of the new Morris[ugh], the first car,which ousted the Norton 16h and sidecar from the shed.Regards John.

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 10:02:02 PM »

Pity! Not many period photos of such interesting little machines. Great that your grandfather actually got some use out of the Mobile Pups.

Leon

Offline Scottowner

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 05:05:01 PM »
A few pics of my Mobile Pups,just waiting for the warmer weather to get sanding,painting and casting to get them built up. The first picture is  when I emptied the T chests

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 11:24:48 AM »

"... just waiting for the warmer weather to get sanding,painting and casting to get them built up"

"Them", eh? The photos seem to show the better part of three pups. If you have a circular driveway you could have "pup parties" with your friends on a Sunday morning!!

Have fun.

Leon