Author Topic: Unknown Engine.  (Read 14740 times)

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown Engine.
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2014, 09:56:16 AM »
Sprocket blanks of the size you want are supplied complete with boss.
It is a routine job for any chain and transmission firm to bore and face the sprocket to suit the job at hand.
All you have to do is as R says. When the engine and gearbox with clutch are solidly bolted together in the frame take the bike to them and they will manufacture to suit.
It is a standard job made entertaining by being in a vintage bike. That will get them interested.

Cheers,

Offline smartfella

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2014, 11:02:48 AM »
Thanks 33ds.

Good info.

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2014, 10:06:17 AM »
It could be a standard taper,why dont you measure it.In my experience engines with short drive shafts are often industrial.JAP for instance made 100 times more industrial engines than actual bike engines.To mount one with a bike gearbox,you often need to offset it somewhat to that side,to line up the chain.Dont go for an excessive overhang,as likely the shaft will fracture at the keyway.Any one with a lathe will be able to cut an accurate taper in a sprocket blank,and as has been suggested the sprocket can be rebanded.The key will probably be a modified Woodruffe key[cut short and reduced in height,to avoid weakening the engine mainshaft.]Nortons and JAPs both use tapered keyed sprockets,but different sized shafts.Regards John.

Offline smartfella

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2015, 04:00:50 PM »
Can anyone clarify what I think this pipe input is.
I think its a breather pipe but could it be an oil feed pipe.
Thanks.