Author Topic: Mystery Old Bike  (Read 7108 times)

Offline kettlaness

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Mystery Old Bike
« on: December 05, 2014, 03:17:45 PM »
Hi there,

For many years, my late Uncle & Aunt owned a motorbike (See pic).  Sadly  :(, I never asked the make & model - which is why I am asking help from the many experts on this forum.

I found a very small photo of the motorbike and I decided that it would be interesting to find out more about it.  I don’t own a motorbike, or even have a bike licence, but if I did, I’d certainly have an older bike – I love the styling.

The number-plate of the bike, is KC4395.  My Aunt looks quite young, so I wouldn’t think the photo is much after 1920 . . . or perhaps it is earlier than that ?  The bike looks quite impressive – in my opinion, the engine looks a decent size.

If you can tell me anything about it, it would be much appreciated.  Feel free to share or use the photo as you feel appropriate.

Best wishes,

Andy

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Old Bike
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 03:58:52 PM »
L.A.B.

Offline rogerwilko

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 09:21:13 PM »
At least it's not another 50cc two stroke piece of dross!

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 09:27:21 PM »
Hi Andy,

Yes LAB is correct - a 1920s AJS v-twin, a machine that would usually be seen attached to a sidecar. There are a couple of notable things about the bike. One is the very early use of a "saddle" tank that sits on top of the top tube of the frame, rather than between the frame tubes. Unfortunately AJS missed the opportunity to do something stylish; they only used the saddle tank for a year or two I recall. The other is the Brooks saddle that floated on four long leaf springs attached to the back carrier. Not seen very often these days!

My grandfather had a machine like this. My dad, who passed away earlier this year, told me this story from his schooldays. One day after school he was at home with one of his mates. The AJS was there, but no-one was home. Somehow the two boys managed to start the bike, but missing was the knowledge of how to stop it. It plonked away until my grandfather came home!

Thanks for posting the photo.

Leon

Offline kettlaness

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 10:58:43 AM »
Many thanks indeed, for the very interesting replies.

I don't have a motorbike licence and I've no interest in modern bikes at all; but something about the styling of the old bikes really appeals to me.

I could really see myself getting a pre-war machine - just to 'potter' around on . . . just how easy to ride, are such bikes . . . and how much maintenance do they require ?

I must say, I'm tempted to get something; this may come across as sounding rather shallow-minded, but any choice of bike, would be largely on the basis of appearance.  I wouldn't be interested in a smaller-engined bike; but rather, a twin-cylinder, rather like the AJS in fact . . . . . . . better get saving :)

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 08:52:43 PM »

Hi Andy,

Vintage bikes are surprisingly easy to ride, particularly on quite country roads. A flat tank AJS from the 1920s would be a good choice, but you'll find the twins bring pretty high prices. They are also not much of a solo bike; at least they were designed with a sidecar in mind. On the other hand their little brother, the 350cc side valve, is cheaper, faster, lighter and reasonably common. An ideal "lifetime" vintage bike.

My best advice is to try to find a local vintage (i.e. pre 1930) enthusiast who can give you some pointers and encouragement. Visit the next Banbury Run - you'll be hooked.

Good luck!

Leon

Offline kettlaness

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 08:11:45 PM »
Hi Leon,

Thanks for taking the time to write such an interesting reply.  The AJS 350 side valve looks a very attractive bike - to my eyes.  Whilst I admire the symmetry of twin cylinder bikes, it seems that singles sometimes fetch less than half the price of the twins.

I found a website showing an AJS 350 in 2011; although three years ago, the bike only went for £4830 . . . why so cheap ?

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/19290/lot/401/

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 08:51:04 PM »

Looks like a very nice bike, and a good price. I'd happily have it in my stable. Sometimes less glamorous bikes are good buying at auctions, where people have their sights set on one of the fancier machines...

Leon