Author Topic: Dkx2a distributor  (Read 15511 times)

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Dkx2a distributor
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2015, 02:08:07 PM »
it never did catch on ,triumph ariel all had a go as well as others im sure  , I like the dizi as its very easy to alter the timing but accuracy is not its strong point

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2015, 01:10:00 PM »
With the reputation for inaccuracy which I’ve been told the Lucas dizzy has (and the problem here) I thought I would take a closer look , without spending too much time I set this up , from one side to the other on the cam its ground to a difference of one degree , one degree ! if only triumph could have ground there engine cams to the same tolerance , I will not be so quick in the future to remove these units in favour of magnetos , in fact I may try this setup on my own triumph if the mag ever plays up .\
\

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2015, 12:13:18 PM »
I have never suggested that Lucas equipment was inaccurate when new,in fact I am a big fan of Lucas stuff.Many of my old machines have still got the Lucas electrics they were made with,but I'm talking trucks, tractors and cranes,not bikes.Lucas fuel injection equipment[Lucas owned CAV from late 20s on.Which is where the money came from to subsidise Nortons racing effort as long as C.A Vandervell was alive.]is world class,and in fact better in some cases than Bosch.Regards John.

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2015, 02:57:35 PM »
Why did this setup get such a reputation for being inaccurate , I understand that triumph tried this because Lucas where to stop making mags also im sure cost came into it  , am I missing something for so long as the charging is all in order I can see/find no problem

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2015, 04:29:25 PM »
They were probably fine when new, although I never had the luxury of experiencing that. By the time they got to people like me, the bushes had worn, the springs stretched and the bobweight pivots worn and/or seized.

I overhauled an 18DX(?) for a unit Triumph twin a year or so ago and managed to get it working well after suffering most of the above.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline alfamisco

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2015, 10:02:00 AM »
Hi forgot to say I've had my distributor back from distributor doctor and fitted to my bike, it has been repaired well, looks like new and my Thunderbird runs really well, thing that's really noticeable is when I Rev the engine with bike on centre stand it used to move backwards but now it's remains stationary however hard I Rev it

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2015, 10:06:43 AM »
that's a rare bird you have there , they are a very nice bike I need to look at mine as its not that smooth as it does move on the cent stand