Author Topic: Barr & Stroud 499cc type WA7 Engine # 23N331  (Read 3251 times)

Offline jagnut

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Barr & Stroud 499cc type WA7 Engine # 23N331
« on: October 05, 2015, 12:03:13 AM »
Greetings to my distant cousins from across the Atlantic. I was looking for parts in an old parts yard and I found this Barr & Stroud engine. The engine is bare except for the magneto. I opened the case and it looks good inside. The cylinder looks good and the engine turns over. After a month of research I have determined that it is a 1925 British motorcycle engine. I did not find any more parts of  the bike in the parts yard.
  Is there anyone that needs or wants this engine? I have some interest here but they want to use it as a novelty item. I would like to find a good home where it will run again. Any suggestion or contacts would be appreciated. Jagnut

Offline JFerg

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Barr & Stroud 499cc type WA7 Engine # 23N331
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 05:53:26 AM »
I'm interested, Jagnut.  Send me a private message.

cheers,
JFerg

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 07:08:29 AM »
all the records still exist for most/every B&S engine made plus to where it was dispatched , they are held by the Glasgow museum , it may well have only ever been a dispatched engine , there is one running in OZ I think called the forever forwards or on wards , not sure

Offline JFerg

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 11:58:39 AM »
Mark 2 is right.  I've spent days in the archives and have extracted a full record of B&S engine sales.  There is no separate sales record for engines and parts, it's a series of archive boxes containing every order; binoculars, range-finders, octophones and engines, but from that I have as complete an engine sales record as it is possible to get.

My bike, "Ever Onward" is a running machine in regular use, with a WA7, 500cc, engine.

Jagnut's engine, 23 1331 (it cannot be anything else) was despatched new on 21 June 1923 to Wallace, in Glasgow.  Wallace made agricultural equipment, but I've never delved into the details of precisely what.

JFerg